Quote

"Keep working on a plan. Make no little plans. Make the biggest you can think of, and spend the rest of your life carrying it out." Harry S. Truman

Monday, September 22, 2008

Ganesh Festival, Before and After

As a follow up to my previous posts about the joyous festival of Ganesh Chaturthi, I want to add that after all celebrations, one must clean up. This is pretty standard anywhere. One of the reasons I'm not at all fond of throwing parties is that even though I love it while our guests are with us and we're all having a good time together, I hate having to go through the preparations - I stress out so much because I want everything to be perfect - and then having to clean up the mess. And yes, I know all about needing to live in the present, but knowing about it doesn't make it any easier for me to actually DO it. Those out there who maybe wonder why they're never invited to our house, well, now you know it's nothing personal. I'm just a very reluctant hostess. :)

Now back to Ganesha. As mentioned before, the elephant-headed god must be immersed in water after up to eleven days of offerings and prayers.


 Hyderabad has a big body of water in its middle:  the lake Hussein Sagar.
 
 During the festival, cranes are installed along its  shore, in order to lift and then bring down some of  the enormous statues of the god into the water.  


The biggest statue is 47 feet tall, to give you an  idea. Here it is again, at night. See how small people are, at the bottom?
Now what happens, once everyone, every neighborhood, has brought their statue of Ganesh, big or small, to the lake and immersed it in the water?

See below a few pictures taken by my husband (who drives by the lake every day to go to his office), on the day after...






No comments: