Quote

"Keep working on a plan. Make no little plans. Make the biggest you can think of, and spend the rest of your life carrying it out." Harry S. Truman

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Much needed update

It's been a while since my last post. Things are crazy at the moment. I've had big computer problems, was forced to reformat everything, and while doing that, I lost a 1200 words scene that I meant to submit to Uma's workshop, and when I realized that, I cried like a baby. I was so crushed and discouraged that it took me three days to work out the courage and stamina to write that scene again. In the meantime I learned a very interesting - and mind boggling fact : Cynthia Leitich Smith DELETES the first draft of her novels, empties the bin, and then sets out to write the whole story again !!!! How crazy is that? Of course, it's different from little me sweating out a few words and struggling to move forward with a story that hasn't yet totally jelled in my mind. Still, what a lesson. Uma tells us that she now does that too, because it's a way to get rid of all the clutter and find the real heart of the story. I can see how that would make sense, but still...

Anyway, this is just a small update with announcements of things to come:

- My friend and critique partner Sue Collins Thoms's Cesar Takes a Break is finally out in bookstores, and I will soon post an interview.

- I started reading Suzanne Kamata's Losing Kei, set in Japan. This is not a children's book, but I also want to post an interview from Suzanne, who is an expatriate fellow writer.

- I will also post an interview from expat expert Robin Pascoe, author of several books on repatriation. She will tour in India in April and come to Hyderabad. We've been exchanging emails and she seems as lively, fun, and sharp as her books. I can't wait to meet her. All the expats reading this, check her book out if you haven't already : Raising Global Nomads: Parenting Abroad in an On-Demand World, published by Expatriate Press.

-I've been tagged to post pictures of my working space. I need to get my computer back for that, as I now have problems with the web cam and whatnot, aghhh!

So, that's it for today. Oh, no, one more thing, and what a kick I got out of it, when I found out : Amadi's Snowman is available for pre-order on amazon.com !!!

No comments: