Quote

"Keep working on a plan. Make no little plans. Make the biggest you can think of, and spend the rest of your life carrying it out." Harry S. Truman

Friday, March 12, 2010

Our Life in India : Beating the Hyderabadi heat.

The Qutb Shahi Tombs of Hyderabad were built during the reign of each one of the seven monarchs of the dynasty, and are surrounded by gardens that must have been magnificent in the old times. We'd been there a few years back, and I was pleased to see, this time, that there is a lot of work being done to restore them to - hopefully - their original splendor.

But this is not the point of this post. As we wandered about the gardens, I came across a stepwell that I had somehow missed, the first time (wonder how, as I love baolis. There is a beautiful one a the Mehrauli Archaeological park, in Delhi.)






Got it ?

Except that, sign notwithstanding, it is getting very HOT, now, in Hyderabad.


As I walked closer to the step, I saw a crowd watching down, and heard deep splashing sounds like when something heavy hits water.

Sure enough : Young men were diving in? Now, this may not be entirely obvious in the picture, but trust me when I tell you that the water was not exactly clean.

But what really impressed me was that these young men who jumped from a height of 15 to 20 meters seemed to pop back through the surface incredibly fast.

They had a technique, it seems. Sorry if this sounds a little duh, but my own limited experience in diving has always been that the higher the point of jumping, the deeper you go.

I watched these young men, and noticed that they bent their bodies in the air, and that seemed to break the momentum and allow them to resurface really quickly. Feeling very refreshed, I'm sure.

So, that was our slice of Indian life for Sunday.

No comments: