Quote

"Keep working on a plan. Make no little plans. Make the biggest you can think of, and spend the rest of your life carrying it out." Harry S. Truman

Friday, October 5, 2007

The Cybils 2007 : Nominate your favorite books

Nominations are now open for the Cybils 2007. The only literary awards by bloggers, they're seeking nominations in eight genres:

Fantasy/Science Fiction
Fiction Picture Books
Graphic Novels
Middle Grade Fiction
Non-Fiction: Middle Grade and Young Adult
Non-Fiction Picture Books
Poetry
Young Adult Fiction

The books must have been published in 2007. And we can only submit one title per category. Anyone with an email can participate, and we have until November 21 to post our favorite titles.

I'm off to work on my own list. Not so easy, when you live thousands of miles away. The books I read are not necessarily books that came out this year. I don't get my books at the library or in bookstores because the latter tend to carry mainly hugely successful books - of course, Harry Potter, all the Enyd Blytons, pretty much anything by Roald Dahl, and Meg Cabot is also very big, around here. So, I tend to browse on Amazon.com, I jot down titles that I gather in conversations with other writers, or while reading blogs, and these books are not always the last ones that came out.

I just finished A Wrinke in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle, which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I'm not usually a big fantasy reader. I've read three Junie B. Jones, and going over The Magic Tree House series with my daughter - in a French translation because I want her to develop her reading skills in French, too. I also read Younguncle comes to Town, by Vandana Singh, and loved the light humor, the Indian setting, and the wonderful cast of characters - the baby is especially irresistible, and I like the mother who speaks in Capital Letters, the grand-father who rides his cow as if it were the fastest horse alive, etc. None of these were published this year. No matter, I will try and participate.

How about you? Of all the books published in 2007 that you've read, which are your favorites? Go add your choice(s) on the Cybils blog.

No comments: