Quote

"Keep working on a plan. Make no little plans. Make the biggest you can think of, and spend the rest of your life carrying it out." Harry S. Truman

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Update on my coming picture book

Much has happened over the past few weeks regarding the publication of my picture book, to be released sometime in May 2008 : Amadi's Snowman.

The illustrations are done and I'm now anxiously waiting to see the proofs - I've only seen the dummy, so far. The good news is that I received a first positive critique from Michael Afolayan, Ph. D. who was consulted for authenticity's sake (the story is set in Nigeria and the characters are Igbo.) Here is what he said :

"This write-up is respectful of the culture in which it is set. It is a breath of fresh air to read of a children fiction set in Africa that does not irritate the eye of the African reader with condescending language and stereotypical depictions. After all, when was the last time we read an African children fiction whose theme is literacy with a good end? For these and some other reasons, I think this is a story book that is worth reading."

Not too bad, hey?

And so, the waiting game continues.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super ! :-)
I can't wait to see it ! :-)

Annette Gulati said...

Wow, that's great praise, Katia! I can't wait to read your book.

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful, Katia! What an endorsement! And it is well deserved. I can't wait to see your book.
Sue

Katia said...

Thank you, my friends :)

kate said...

How exciting! I'm sure you will keep us updated as to when it can be ordered!

Also, there are a couple of things I wanted to share with you (links to stuff on the web) but it's probably easier to explain by email-- if you want, you can email me (there's a link on my profile page) and I'll get back to you that way; if you'd rather not do that I'll just post it in a comment.

LindaBudz said...

Congratulations, Katia! I can imagine how important his thoughts on the book must be to you!

Katia said...

Yes, Linda, very important, indeed.
Kate, I'll send you an email, sure.
Thank you both.